R.A.F. VC10 - main deck cargo doors used in which versions?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
LSS

Post by LSS »

Laurieg
Thanks for pointing out I made an error in the vc10 configuration link I posted.
The C1K does not have and has never had a HDU. (Hangs Head in shame :oops: )
Got carried away with the cut and paste me thinks. Well its corrected now I should remember to check everything before I post.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

And there's me, trying to hide your shame :D

Fair do's though, you have noted up the list that it does not have a HDU.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

I try to be accurate but did put the list together in a hurry. I am the first to admit my mistakes , hey we all make them, just look at the VC10's being scrapped (someone else mistake).
Thanks for the update though I missed it but glad another ten guy spotted it.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

I depend on the old girl for my living. Unfortunately, the Minors were stopped to make way for the 3 scrap kites. Doubley unfortunately it was me and the team that had to do it. I had some good trips in 810. Still, at least it gave us 12 more engines to play with, along with much needed spares.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

I know its sad but got any photos as they get stripped ?
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

I'll ask around, I am sure there were some taken during the strip.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Two photos of the stripped airframes at St. Athan just turned up on Airliners.net.

Warning! Sad sight...
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1039116/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1039115/L/
:cry:
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
LSS

Post by LSS »

Just updated my site with 10 photos from today of flying ones :wink:
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

funny - I thought this post was about cargo doors? I never remember the 10's WITH probes! I served in the classic years!

People seem to forget A40-AB (G-ASIX) the sultan of Omans aircraft THAT had a cargo door fitted at his request, no knows WHY? When he bought the airframe many rumours went around. The story was "if Her Majestys air force have VC10's I want one!"

He was asked if he wanted the door seealed up, but to my knowledge it is fully functional. However I believe the door jacks were removed and the locking hooks wire locked.

By chance any ex Sultan GE's on the site know any more details?
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Murray Keene wrote:People seem to forget A40-AB (G-ASIX) the sultan of Omans aircraft THAT had a cargo door fitted at his request, no knows WHY?
Actually the door wasn't fitted at the Sultan's request. The aircraft was built for BUA who wanted a VC10 with main deck cargo carrying capability. All three of their aircraft had the main deck cargo door fitted (G-ASIX, G-ASIW and G-ATDJ).
Murray Keene wrote:He was asked if he wanted the door seealed up, but to my knowledge it is fully functional. However I believe the door jacks were removed and the locking hooks wire locked.
The cargo door on A4O-AB was sealed up during its conversion into a VIP airliner.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Kestrel

Re: R.A.F. VC10 - main deck cargo doors used in which versions?

Post by Kestrel »

Disconnecting the teleflex cables, hammering the shoot bolts in, and wire-locking them. Christ, I almost forgot the almost hilarious fun of it all. :shock: As I remember it, didn't the in-flight refuelling pipes run down that same section behind the lefthand sidewall panels in the fwd freight hold, where all the cabin freight door actuators and other gubbings was? As regards the fit of the probes to the C1's, as others have said, I think that all happened around the Falklands business, and then there's dear old 'F' troop, lol.
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Yeah, pipes run down the left side.

Just to correct an inaccuracy at the beginning of this thread, Gulf Air standard 10s didn't have a main deck cargo door, the tanks went through a hole cut in the roof.

Oh, and I remember 10s with, and without probe, showing my age :-({{|=
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Strange enough We have a couple of K3s here at the moment. You tend to forget that these have a FR8 door but one of them is on a major and the Fuse tanks have to come out. It has been a long time since anyone had done that so it was a bit different to see the door lifted.

Luckily for me I was on another a/c because there is some pipework from hell under those things that has to be removed prior to the tanks coming out 00-)
smilerrob

Post by smilerrob »

As an air steward I wasn't that genned up on tec stuff, but when I started flying in 1985 the C Mk 1 did not have probes. I later found out that when they were constructed the probe "plumbing" was fitted and just required the probe to be fitted when required.I finished my first tour in 1989, and during the 4 years I spent on a ground tour, the C Mk1 started to be converted to C mk1K standard. I came back to 10 Sqn in 1993 and the last few air frames were in the middle of their conversions. I believe the last one being converted in 1994.

Rob :D
nickwilcock

Post by nickwilcock »

The VC10 C1 probes were re-fitted around 1985, just as the first VC10K3 was entering service. For a short while these were known as VC10 C1P and enabled long distance passenger and freight runs. We refuelled one lucky VC10 which then flew direct to Ascension without needing to stop at Dakar.

Dyed-in-the-wool 'truckies' on 10 Sqn didn't much like the concept - particularly since a 101 Sqn captain would command any flight involving AAR!

The 'C1P' era was relatively short-lived as soon afterwards the remaining VC10 C1s were all upgraded to C1K standard.