R.A.F. VC10 - main deck cargo doors used in which versions?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Zippy

R.A.F. VC10 - main deck cargo doors used in which versions?

Post by Zippy »

For my own curious interest, can anyone confirm that the only VC10 versions in service with the R.A.F. that were fitted with AND USED the main deck cargo door were the original C Mk.1 (Type 1106) and the resultant C Mk.1(K) (Type 1180) upgrade? I PRESUME (but seek confirmation), that neither the K Mk.2 (Type 1112) or K Mk.4 (Type 1170) were ever fitted with the door as the original types they were derived from didn't have them, and that the K Mk.3 (Type 1164) does have the door fitted, but that it's been permanently sealed/rendered inoperative as the AAR tankers don't have any secondary cargo role? Finally, were, the original C Mk.1's fitted with the nose refuelling probe from the outset, or did these only appear upon conversion to C Mk.1(K)? Thanks a lot for any enlightment you can offer....!!!
LSS

Post by LSS »

Yes the original VC10 Cmk 1 have the Freight door and still use them.
Th K3 Doors are sealed shut and the door jacks removed.
The K4 has no freight door.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks for this help - VERY useful; just to complete the story, do you know if the K Mk.2 had the doors fitted and used at all? Any more news on whether the original C Mk.1 had the option of being fitted with a receiving fuel probe? Or was that only a permanent fitting on the C Mk.1(K)? Thanks.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

It is funny to admit but I cannot remember the VC 10 without a probe!!

I have been with them long enough. I do know they were not fitted when I first came to them in the '70s. The probe was not part of the K conversion, (that only introduced, amongst other things, CCTV and the wing pods).

I can remember seeing some kites without probes around '89 but by the first tussle in the sand we were all coverted. During my GE training we were training crews, by the end of '89, in receiving but for the life of me, I cannot remember when we started to fit them.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So, it's perfectly possible to see a photograph of the original C Mk.1 (Type 1106) version fitted with, as well as without, the probe then do you reckon?
LSS

Post by LSS »

The CMk1 had the option of probes from build. They had them removed for years and they where only refitted during the Falkland War. I remember all the fuel leaks that we had at this time as all the pipe seals had dried out.

On my http://www.mackrick.co.uk/ there are loads of VC10 Photos some mine and others from various other sources therefore Copyright is as indicated on the photos or Crown Copyright.

LSS

Post by LSS »

Laurie
The reason for the 89 probe shortage was spares. I remember 'F trrop' playing musical probes most weeks :D
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Ahh! F Troop, bless their cotton socks. Where would we be without? :lol:

(My wallet would be a lot fuller in them days, for one. Flap Assymetries/eng changes down route cost me a right bundle).
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

Never understood why F troop remained and they did away with E troop !!
Still where would we have been without Alex R and Richie B !!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks for all this help people. So probes fitted from the start on the K.2, K.3, K.4 tankers and optional on the C.1 - so were they compulsory on the C.1K? I can't imagine the point of having an AAR aircraft that couldn't be refuelled itself - thought only tha R.A.F. TirStars were that daft!!
LSS

Post by LSS »

K2 , 3 and 4 Had probes all the time. There was the odd occasion that they where removed eg. Damaged down route. The C1K at one time late 70 early 80 had no probes fitted, all held in stores. They where as I said fitted during Falklands war and since then have had them all the time except for the odd VIP flight where pods and probe was removed.
Tenlavs

Freight Doors

Post by Tenlavs »

The Gulf Air Standard and East African Super VC10s had freight doors. The aperture was used to install the fuselage fuel tanks during the K2 and K3 conversion programme. The door was then sealed and the mechanism removed. The BOAC/BA Super VC10s did not have a freight door - which was one of the reasons why no fuselage fuel was installed during their conversion to K4. Cutting and sealing a hole for the tanks was too expensive but if the freight door option had been available these ac may well have had the extra fuel and been designated K3A.
LSS

Post by LSS »

The VC10 Cmk1 has a Freight Door and uses it.
The VC10 K2 Had no Freight Door. (Fuselage tanks where inserted through a cut out in the cabin roof)
The VC10 K3 has a Freight Door that was used in civilian service but in RAF service once the fusealage tanks where fitted it was sealed shut and the door jack removed.
The VC10 K4 has no Freight Door.

The reason there was no fusealage tankls fitted to the K4 is for two reasons. One is was cost the second was that being a Super VC10 ie. Super wings and Tail it was not deemed necessary.

Total Fuel Figures

CMk1 19355 Gallons 154840 lbs
K2 21570 Gallons 78250 Kg
K3 23010 Gallons 83500 Kg
K4 19370 Gallons 70300 Kg

I hope this clarifies some of the above posts.
LSS

Post by LSS »

The following link to a post on my site lists the major configurations of the VC10's when in RAF Service. Hope this clears up any further questions you may have.

http://www.mackrick.co.uk/2006/05/02/vc ... iguration/
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

LSS
Check you PMs